- Why Staying Single In Your 20s Can Be a Very Good Thing
- 4 Reasons to Travel In Your 20s
- 4 Reasons Not To Spend Your 20s In a Drunken Haze
- How to Make Your 20s Count
- 4 Things You Didn’t Know About Negotiating For Your Salary
- Top 5 Biggest Career Mistakes for Generation Y-ers
- Master the 6 Toughest Interview Questions
- Top 5 Beautiful Resume Ideas That Work
- Interactive Infographic: Which Career is Right for You?
- Infographic: What Women Want Financially
4 Ways We Were Wrong About Our 20s
Your 20s are a time for self-discovery and exploration. However, many of us have very set expectations for how our 20s will play out. This includes settling down at a certain age, finding a dream job, and achieving other standards of success set by society.
However, as society changes and the millennial generation begins to fill the ranks of adulthood, it is more important than ever to recognize the ways in which we and others were wrong about our idealistic expectations for our 20s.
1. Success is Defined by Society
The number one aspect of their 20s that many people find themselves wrong about is the standard definition of success created by society.
As Arianna Huffington stated in her commencement address at Smith College, “Don’t buy society’s definition of success… because it’s not working for anyone. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men”.