- Why Staying Single In Your 20s Can Be a Very Good Thing
- 4 Reasons to Travel In Your 20s
- 4 Reasons Not To Spend Your 20s In a Drunken Haze
- How to Make Your 20s Count
- 4 Things You Didn’t Know About Negotiating For Your Salary
- Top 5 Biggest Career Mistakes for Generation Y-ers
- Master the 6 Toughest Interview Questions
- Top 5 Beautiful Resume Ideas That Work
- Interactive Infographic: Which Career is Right for You?
- Infographic: What Women Want Financially
How To Find A Sponsor To Fast-Track Your Career
As Sylvia Ann Hewlett, CEO of The Center for Talent Innovation, discusses in her recent book, Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor: The New Way to Fast-Track Your Career, finding a sponsor is the new big thing when it comes to your career goals.
While mentors are great for providing guidance, the real way to succeed is to secure a sponsor who actually has power in your field and can ensure that you go far. Of course, finding a sponsor is not easy.
You need to be able to impress potential sponsors and show them what you have to offer for them to invest their time in you. With these four tips, you can start finding a sponsor to fast-track your career.
1. Make Yourself Stand Out
The first key to finding a sponsor is to make yourself stand out and give your potential sponsor the opportunity to notice you. A sponsor is someone who is very high up in either your company or your industry, which means there are likely to be a lot of other people vying for their time and attention.